What Are the Primary Responsibilities of an Architect?
Among the many things that still survive to this day, architecture is definitely one of the most ancient professions out there. It is actually a profession that combines multiple aspects, including the creative expression of an artist, as well as the formal and technical concepts of engineering.
An architect is different from the engineer. Their main job is to help create, plan, and design buildings that can be used for a variety of different purposes, including commercial, urban landscaping, industrial, and of course, residential.
Architects will provide the engineers with a much-needed guide to help them know how they envision the buildings to be. The building guide is actually crafted based on the requirements that are said by their clients.
Architects are typically employed in architecture firms, which are actually just agencies that either help in designing and constructing new buildings or help renovate old and existing ones.
Their services are usually availed by a number of different entities, such as investment groups, construction companies, and even the government as well.
For example, if the government were to have a historic landmark renovated or reconstructed, they will contact several architecture firms and these agencies will then come up with their own designs. The best design will be chosen based on its viability, feasibility, creativity, and the total costs as well.
An architect’s main role is to help create blueprints for engineers and building contractors to follow. However, they are not only limited to that as their profession requires them to be multi-faceted. Below is just a non-exhaustive list of the typical roles an architect does.
- They help organize and conceptualize ideas, styles of design, as well as the materials that are needed for the construction of a building
- They draft building images using specialized software such as AutoCAD or Revit
- They incorporate engineering principles to help create their designs. Some examples of this include structural support, electrical and water systems, the durability and toughness of materials that are going to be used, and so on.
- Adheres to environmental aspects and incorporating green architecture principles into their design
- They create reports that provide pertinent information about the construction of a building, such as workforce, permits, cost of materials, and other documents that are deemed necessary for the entire construction process
- They take into consideration the environmental factors of the site, including the altitude, temperature, wind force, and other phenomena that may have an impact on the structure’s integrity
- They will contact and liaise with the different stakeholders (client, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, etc.)
- They also handle the promotion of their respective firms by presenting the company’s portfolio to prospective clients
- They conduct regular site visits and evaluate the integrity of the building as it is being built
- They collaborate with the interior designers in helping bring style to the building
- Many more
For those of you who are interested to know, an architect’s average annual salary is $87,011 (according to a Canadian survey company).